Salkantay Trek 5 days 4 nights
Salkantay Trek 5 days 4 nights
Option: Salkantay trek 4 days 3 night available
OVERVIEW Salkantay trek
- Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Marqocasa – Salkantaypampa
- Day 2: Salkantaypampa – Salkantay Pass – Wayrapunku – Colpapampa.
- Day 3: Colpapampa – Playa Sahuayacu.
- Day 4: Playa Sahuayacu – Llaqtapata – Aguas Calientes.
- Day 5: Machupicchu – Train back to Cusco.
Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Salkantaypampa
The Salkantay trek begin picking you up at 5:00 am and travel by bus to the district of Mollepata where we will take the breakfast. We will then take a 4 hour hike to Wayracpampa where we will have lunch with the panoramic views of the beautiful snow-capped mountains of Humantay, just the start! We will begin our trek towards Salkantaypampa, our first campsite at 4150m / 13612ft; the highest and coldest campsite of the trip.
- Campsite: Salkantaypampa 4150 m / 13612 ft.
- Distance: 15 km / 9.03 miles
- Highest point: Salkantaypampa pass 4150 m / 13612 ft.
Day 2: Mighty Salkantay!!
We will have breakfast at around 5:30 am and begin our hike to the highest pass on this trek at (4650m)/(15200ft), located halfway between 2 huge mountains; Salkantay on the right and Tucarhuay on the left.
From the pass, the view of the 2 snow-capped mountains is incredible. After a rest, we will continue our walk (downhill) through a dramatic cloud forest towards Huayracpunku, where we will have lunch. We hike again after lunch for approximately 3 hours towards the jungle until we reach our second campsite.
- Campsite: Colpapampa 3000 m / 9800 ft.
- Distance: 13 km / 8.06 miles
- Highest point: Salkantay pass 4650 m / 15200 ft.
Day 3: Cloud Forest
After breakfast, at 6:30 am, we start trekking through the upper jungle crossing the Lluskamayo. Today we will pass through valleys and have wonderful views of waterfalls, tropical fruits and plants. We will camp in the warm climate of La Playa Sahuayacu (2500m) / (8202ft).
- Campsite: Playa Sahuayacu 2500 m / 8202 ft.
- Distance: 12 km / 7.44 miles
- Highest point: Colpapampa 3000 m / 9800 ft.
Day 4: Llactapata – Puente Ruinas – Aguas Calientes
We will have breakfast at 6:30 am and then head for Llactapata, a 3 hour steady climb. Llactapata is an incredible Inca fort from which we will see Machu Picchu! After some photos and rest, we will continue on a 2 hour dowhill hike passing a variety of plantations that produce coca, bananas, etc., until we reach the hydroelectric station.
At about 13:00 pm, we will take the lunch in the station where we will say good bye to all staff, and continue with the hike until Aguas Calientes Town where we will spend a night in the hotel.
- Distance: 19 km / 11.78 miles
- Highest point: Llaqtapa 2760 m / 9052 ft.
Day 5: Machu Picchu!!!
We will have breakfast at 5:00 am and then catch a 25 minute bus ride, at approximately 5:30 am to Machu Picchu, in order to appreciate the magnificent city during its sunrises.
A walking tour, approximately 2 hours, is given by your guide and after this you can explore the mysterious city by yourself.
You will meet your guide in Aguas Calientes, it can be reached by bus for lunch and to receive your train tickets back to Cusco.
The train usually leaves at 2:55 pm and we will arrive to Ollantaytambo at 4:40 pm and then will take the bus to Cusco and will arrive to Cusco at 7 or 8 pm.
- Professional, bilingual tour guide.
- Assistant guide.
- Pick up from hotel.
- Return transportation (bus to start of trail and tourist train back to Ollanta).
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu.
- 1 Bus ticket up to the Machu Picchu world heritage site.
- 4 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 afternoon snacks (hot drinks, biscuits and popcorn) and 3 dinners. If you have a dietary request such as vegetarian food please let us know.
- Dining tent with tables and chairs.
- 4 man tents are provided for 2 people only.
- Sleeping mattresses.
- Horseman and mules (they carry cooking and camping equipment)
- 1 night’s accommodation in Aguas Calientes.
- Extra oxygen.
- First-Aid kit.
- Spare blanket per tent.
- Toilet tent
- Hot portable shower
Does not Include
NOT INCLUDED BUT YOU CAN GET FROM US
- Entrances to Huayna Picchu Mountain (need to book in advance)
- Entrances to Machu Picchu Mountain (need to book in advance)
- Sleeping Bag
- Walking sticks
- Breakfast on Day 1 and lunch and dinner on Day 5
- Water, (during the first 4 hours, after that, our team will provided you)
- Travel Insurance – you are strongly recommended to take out travel insurance for the duration of your trip.
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
What to Pack?
WHAT YOU NEED TO TAKE
- Original passport (and **International Student card (ISIC) if applicable).
- Travel Insurance is essential.
- Walking boots.
- Waterproof jacket/rain poncho.
- Warm jacket, hat and gloves.
- Comfortable pants.
- Hand sanitizer.
- Sun hat.
- Re-usable plastic or metal water container (Nalgene) or camel bags.
- Sun block (SPF 35 recommended).
- Insect repellent.
- Personal medication.
- Camera with extra batteries.
- Flashlight with extra batteries.